Saturday 26 November 2016

Mauser M03 or Poleaxe?

I've been hunting for a big boar that's been hanging around the bottom corner of two farms for several months. I've seen him at night under spotlight, initially mistaking him for an Angus steer in the tussocks and grass, off in the distance. I've seen him a few times wandering on distant hillsides in the early dawn light. One morning I watched from a hilltop as he dawdled towards me and into a patch of heavy bracken, from which he didn't emerge. Google Earth later told me the closest he came was 700 metres. I crossed a few fences and creeks and worked my way over there, having pinpointed his last position. As I bravely snooped around in the shoulder high bracken, which was flattened here and there by his lolling around and digging, I tripped his alarm system from just a little too close for comfort, for him and me. From only five or so metres away he exploded into a charge that made the bracken fronds shake and quiver, thankfully in the direction that was straight away from me. Once again, a wild boar saved me the expense of getting a cardiogram to check that my ticker could still cope with sudden abuse. Raw and natural adrenaline is a stunningly effective drug that fixes pretty well any ailment you might have, for a while. I followed as best I could, finding his stretched out hoof prints once they left the bracken and traversed the closely cropped grass. What a sight it would have been to see him bursting out of cover from across the gully. My daughter keeps telling me the puppy she wants would make a great hunting dog. :-)

The weather is warming up here in Oz. Summer is nearly upon us, but last Thursday morning was forecast to be cold at dawn, with a sunny but cool day to follow. I used the Bureau of Meteorology's new MetEye service to check what the wind would be doing and saw that at 5am it would be between 0 and 5 knots and perfectly directed into my face as I walked to the back area where the boar had taken up residence. Given that I'd been seeing him at distance across paddocks, for only a few minutes in the early dawn light before he found cover, I'd spent some mornings at the rifle range making sure I knew where my bullets were going. I dialled my 6.5x55, 270 Win and 30-06 Mauser M03 barrels in at 100, 300 and 500 metres, then worked out curves for distances out to 1000 metres. These Mauser barrels were consistently hitting the mark at 500 metres and I felt ready for a shot at 700 metres, if I couldn't get closer. It turns out that 700 metres is as far as I could go with the Zeiss Victory HT scope I was using with my 270 barrel. The ASV+ turret runs out of clicks at exactly that range.

It was the 270 I carried out to the Landcruiser in the dark at 4.15am. When I got to the farm I drove as quietly over the cattle-grid as I could (try that!) and then only a short distance before parking to the side of the driveway. I'd turned my headlights off while still out on the road and there was just enough light to see where I was going. This would be an easy walking hunt, with no pack or bumbag. Just a morning stroll for an hour or two, with only my Mauser, a few spare rounds and my earmuffs hanging on an old bootlace across my chest. I had my iPhone and earplugs in the breast pocket of my jacket, which for once was just right for the temperature. It would take me about 20 minutes to get to the hill above the bottom corner, by which time the light would be good enough to see what's to be seen, all around.

I walked quietly but briskly through the paddock, 150 metres down the slope from the farmhouse, without spooking the trainee sheepdog. No need to disturb Mr and Mrs Farmers' morning slumber. We've had a wet winter and a perfect spring so there's some thick and lush grass in the paddocks, particularly where the soil is softest. Makes for a nice change from the all too regular drought conditions. Another nice change was that I wasn't going to have to walk for miles without firing a shot, because there was the boar, right in front of me, enjoying the soft soil and long grass, only 70 metres away. And I'd spent all that time zeroing in at 700 metres! I quickly thought about the wind and despite what the Bureau had promised, I felt a puff on the back of my neck. 'Shit, he's gonna smell me any second', I said in my head as I plucked the earplugs out of the film canister. 'Don't make a noise closing it.' I rushed a bit, rolling them and shoving them in my ears, then lifted the earmuffs onto my head. I cocked the M03 quietly and started walking closer. Only the top half of the boar was visible in the thick and even carpet of grass. His head was down and facing away; I didn't think he'd see me. I stopped at 50 metres. I already had the scope set towards the lower end of its magnification range, on 4 power, but the boar was plenty big enough as the cross hair wobbled over its black mass. I didn't think about the range, so it's just as well I'd set it to 200m the night before, as I tend to do. The boar rotated to the right and his head came up. I saw his big floppy ears and his jaw chewing and then stop. 'Now, before he runs!' The wobbling crosshair passed across his shoulder and my finger pulled. The bang was pleasantly quiet. These earplugs and muffs are good things. The straight stock of my Mauser M03 absorbed the recoil really well and I saw the boar collapse in a wavelike motion, from his hind quarters to his snout. Just like you see on YouTube when some Bavarian prince is doing the shooting. Quite simply, like he'd been poleaxed.

So much for not disturbing folk who are still in bed. Oh well.

Someone will be curious; it was a Berger 150gn VLD Hunting bullet that did the trick. While these are named VLD for very low drag, they're an early design of Berger's and aren't super pointy like newer VLD designs. They've stuck with the designation since, they explained when I enquired, to avoid confusion. Not working! These Berger hunting bullets are designed to penetrate 10cm and then blow up, dumping their energy and sending fragments everywhere. This one didn't exit. It was instantly effective.

I was happy to have finally caught up with this boar. Everything had worked perfectly. But curiously, I also felt like it had been too easy. I hadn't walked more than five minutes from the car; probably less. I've always been as quiet as possible when closing doors and loading up magazines. You never know if a big pig is just over there.

A large boar shot with a Mauser M03 270 Winchester and a Berger 150gn VLD Hunting bullet.

A large boar shot with a Mauser M03 270 Winchester and a Berger 150gn VLD Hunting bullet.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe