Monday 24 February 2014

Mauser M03 - 270 Win and 30-06. First shots.

Update in Feb 2016 - click this link to see how accurate my hand loads are in this 270 Win barrel. :-)

And click this link to see much better accuracy with my 30-06 barrel. The factory loads I tried with the post below were not an ideal match for the barrel.

**********

Here is a video showing the first few shots with our two new Mauser M03 rifles, in 270 Winchester and 30-06 Springfield. The annotations are showing up with Flash, but not HTML5.

The 270 was tested with Norma Kalahari Plains Game factory ammunition using 120gn (7.8 gram) projectiles. To try the 30-06 out I used some old Remington High Velocity factory ammo, loaded with their 180gn Pointed Soft Point - Core Lokt bullets.

The results show that acceptable accuracy for hunting can be achieved with factory ammunition. I'll be developing hand-loads for each barrel, aiming for half to three-quarter minute of angle performance. Stay tuned!

Side note: my son fired the first shot with the 270; a bore sighter to get the scope in the game. It hit closer to the middle of the panel than my first shot with the 30-06. He is now officially a better shot than me, he says. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe