Saturday 15 February 2014

Left Brain - Right Brain. Helix on the Brain.

I spent a good part of my spare time in 2013 scraping every last ounce of information out of the internet on the three rifles that held my interest: the Blaser R8, the Mauser M03 and the Merkel RX Helix.

I kept the Helix in the mix because it's just so appealing. It really is a fascinating little rifle, which continued to draw my attention despite the concerns I couldn't dismiss. I'll gather together the Helix videos that I found interesting into a playlist on my YouTube channel - 'Mauser M03 Blog' .

The RX Helix has iron sights with coloured plastic beads that are really easy to line up and for the first time in a long time I thought about how much fun it would be to go walk-around hunting without a scope. Just a slender, lightweight, fast reloading rifle. I thought I might get one to go along with the Blasers or Mausers - for when I felt like using something just for the fun of it. Which kind of summarises how my thoughts on the Helix coalesced. It's fun and fascinating, a bright shiny thing, but not what I could build a serious, high performance rifle system on. I had doubts that I would be able to get the trigger working the way I would want. I'd found reports from a few shooters indicating that their triggers or ones they'd tried echoed my experience - a bit mushy. A couple of other problems helped to contain my enthusiasm. First, a contact in the UK had witnessed an acquaintance's Helix losing its fore-stock each time it was fired. Then there was this video, showing a Helix's cocking slide falling out of the cocked position with each shot. Sure, these are teething troubles and fixed under warranty, but they point to a design that's still being proven. But it's not as if it's the rifle I'll pick up for hunting T-Rexes! It's no biggie! And despite exhaustive searches I could find no-one who didn't have Merkel written on their security pass showing off the kind of repeatability and accuracy I wanted the Helix to be capable of. I translated all the Russian, German and French posts and reports I could find, which served to reinforce my expectation, that the barrel clamping system and slim barrels were not going to produce hole-in-hole accuracy, including from the first shot after assembly. But listen, the Helix is designed for quick shooting at big, fast moving targets, that aren't too far away. Pin-point accuracy is not what it's about!

And so my left brain and right brain kept arguing about the RX Helix. I was in no hurry so I let them argue while I set both of them to the real task of choosing between the R8 and M03.

I just found a new video showing the cocking slide of the Helix getting in the way of the right thumb resuming it's grip. So I wasn't simply imagining it. The first pic is just before the first shot and the shooter has a good grip with his right hand. The second pic is after reloading and before the second shot. He's kept his thumb on the wrong side of the de-cocking slide, which gets in the way. The guy is having fun though.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe