Sunday 25 August 2024

Mauser M03 - A Left Handed Version

A Mauser fan, Kim from Southern Germany, has sent me a story about his quest for a left handed M03. I hope you enjoy this tale about how he has realised his long held dream. Regards, Rick.

 
A Lefty Mauser M03

Left handed people learn to improvise, adapt and overcome many things in life. Be it the use of scissors (they really don’t cut if they are not designed for lefties!), ladles with their beak on the wrong side or pistols with their magazine releases. All good.
 
One thing I never did and never will accept is the use of a bolt-action rifle with the bolt on the right side. There is something aesthetic in the smooth process of running the bolt. Something nostalgic or even romantic for some people. I count myself as one of those and, as a child up until now, Mauser was always the manufacturer I admired the most. Strangely, I always missed the chance to get a lefty Mauser until they unfortunately stopped producing them altogether. So, at that time, I opted for a Sauer 404 in .308 instead. I liked how it was slim and elegant, but it just wasn’t “that rifle”.
 

The M03 in 8x57 IS is next to the Sauer 404 in .308 Win
 
Quite a while ago my dream came true and I got hold of an M03 with a real left-handed system. However, it came with a synthetic stock, which is not my taste at all. I never got to the project of replacing it until recently. Now that I've completed the rifle to my liking, it's time to share the story with the other M03 aficionados.

The rifle is in 8x57 IS (yes, I am conservative that way). It’s a great and reliable caliber for hunting here in Germany. It has a 51cm standard contoured 17mm barrel with a M15x1 thread for the use of a suppressor. I opted for a Zeiss Victory V8 1.8-14x50 allrounder scope similar to the Leica Magnus 1.8-12x50i which I have on my Sauer.

Comparison of a .308 (RWS Hit regular) and 8x57 IS (RWS Hit short barrel)
 
The stock I received from Mauser is the so-called “Alpine” model with a slight hog-back, a double fold Bavarian cheekpiece and a drop-point fore-end. The stock is made of what is categorised as wood grade 5 here. For me, the ideal balance of just enough structure to make it interesting and beautiful to look at, but still a tool to be used roughly without hesitation.

There is a post on the disassembly of the M03 in this blog, which helped me a lot when changing the stock. There is nothing to add here except perhaps a picture I took to show the difference in length of the system screw that has to be removed through the rifle butt. As you can see in the picture, the screw for the wooden stock is much longer.

Comparison of system screws between the wooden and synthetic stocks

I like to personalize things to add a certain sentimental touch to it, so I sent the bolt to an engraving master. I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted. The theme I chose was "Heimat" or homeland which, in my case, is represented by two symbols: the good old oak (heavy and with a certain pathos) and the daisy (light-hearted and pretty). Both symbols are separated by fish scale. In addition, since I already outed myself as a Mauser fan - although the company now being part of the Blaser group and no longer the original company in Oberndorf - I asked the engraver to make a pistol grip cap out of burnished steel with the Mauser coat of arms embedded in silver. And yes, I also exchanged the basic magazine with the engraved version...

I quite like the result. What do you think? Waidmannsheil from Germany. Kim.

Mauser M03 - impressions, engravings and details






1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim. Great story and photos. Thanks for sending them in. I hope you enjoy your beautifully prepared M03. Please let us all know how you get on with it, hopefully with some deer or boar hunting there in Southern Germany or other countries nearby. Lucky you. Regards, Rick.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe