Monday 16 November 2015

Mauser M03 - Accuracy at 300m

As I've said in earlier posts, for me it's all about first shot accuracy. If I'm shooting at a fox or a pig or a deer, it will be the first shot from a cold barrel that counts.

In the previous post from last week I checked and adjusted zero for my Mauser M03 rifles at 300 meters. For this post I set up a fresh target board at 300 meters, with a 2.5 cm centre square surrounded by 5 cm squares. 20 x 20 cm overall.

I fired one shot at 300 meters with my 30-06, 270 Winchester and 243 Winchester. I'd left the barrels dirty from last week, to ensure that cleaning or oil residue after patching out did not affect the fall of shot. The 30-06 fired a 180 gn Remington Core Lokt factory load, the 270 a 150 gn Norma Spire Point factory load and the 243 a hand-load made with a 68 gn Berger flat base bullet and 40 gn of ADI 2208 powder.

As can be seen from watching this week's video, the first shot accuracy from these rifles is good. The shot from the 270 is a bit off to the left, but my excuse is that I made the final adjustment last week without firing a confirming test shot, to conserve ammunition. The wind also picked up with this shot, quartering from right to left. I've moved the windage turret on the Zeiss Victory HT scope two clicks to the right. I'll ask the next pig or fox I shoot if I've got it right now. Update - Ask this pig!

Later, as the sun was almost setting and casting a low-angled golden light across the long slope of an east-west hillside (geez that's a lot of adjectives), I rested the M03 Deluxe with its Kahles 6-24 on sandbags across the Landcruiser's hood. After some scanning with my binoculars I found three young rabbits. I clicked the Kahles down 6, to set zero at 200m and adjusted the zoom to 16x. The rabbits were at about 150m, so I aimed slightly low. The M03's set trigger was perfect. Three for three. As I was driving home I waved when the farmer's daughter and I passed each other on the road. She would find a shopping bag with fresh dinner for her cat by the back door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe