Wednesday 9 April 2014

Mauser M03 - Accuracy & Repeatability - Part 2

Update in Feb 2016 - click this link to see how accurate my hand loads are in this 270 Win barrel. :-)

**********

Last weekend I fired some test shots to check the accuracy and repeatability of new 270 Winchester and 30-06 barrels on Mauser M03 rifles. My intention with these tests is to simulate realistic use of Mauser M03s as hunting rifles, from one hunting trip to the next. These are not bench rest rifles. They won't be used for firing group after group at the range, with the barrels cleaned in a standardised manner between groups, followed by a fouling shot.

I store my rifles with the barrels lightly oiled, after a gentle or thorough cleaning, depending on recent usage. I patch them dry before heading out.  Unfortunately, most of the deer, boar and foxes I know will not wait around while I fire a fouling shot into the earth next to them. :-) I need to know where my Mauser M03s will put shots from clean and cold barrels. It will be the accuracy and repeatability of the rifle system with the first shot, after weeks of storage, that matters.

In the first video below three shots are fired with the 270 Win barrel. The first shot is slightly high, while the second and third shots fall exactly where they should. The Kahles 624i scope had been removed and replaced several times. The turrets had been 'exercised' and returned a few times too. The barrel was not removed - I'll run tests on that later. Ammunition is Norma Kalahari 120gn.


The next video shows the first shot fired from a 30-06 barrel with the same Remington Express 180gn Core Lokt ammunition that made a group a few weeks ago. I'm happy about where it lands. These Mauser M03 rifles, barrels and scope mounts are proving to be as repeatable as I was expecting. :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe